More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Difficult Logic Problems
Chessboard and dominoes

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:10 pm  by dedo

You have a chessboard with two opposite squares cut out. How can you cover the remaining 62 squares completely with 31 domino pieces ?(without breaking the dominoes or the board of course). Each domino covers exactly two squares.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:22 am  by tlmarjot

the chess board can be folded in half like a lot of chess boards.
so half of the 62 squares is 31 same as the amount of dominos. each domino covers one square completely but when the board is folded over it covers all 62squares and remains true to the fact that each domino covers two squares

Sat May 03, 2008 2:40 pm  by dedo

tlmarjot, I didn't get it - can you cover it, or not? If yes - how? If not - why?

Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:54 pm  by steinjim

If you cut out opposite corners, that will be two of the same color. Since each domino must cover one black and one white square, you will NOT be able to cover the remaining 62 squares with dominos (there will be 32 of one color and 30 of the other)

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:54 pm  by alexonfyre

I took it to mean that one square of each color was cut out, at random...though it would be impossible to show a solution without the actual coordinates and/or a board showing such that we could draw on.

Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:05 am  by porcelina

If I'm not mistaken, the opposite squares could also be squares directly across the middle from one another. In which case, you'd simply lay the dominoes horizontally, filling up each row EXCEPT the two middle rows. There would be one square left uncovered on each. You would then place the last domino vertically, thereby covering both.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 am  by fadhlarnold

The blank dominoe can be left out

Reply to topic