More Puzzles

RegisterRegister Immediately 

Difficult Logic Problems
morning wallk logic

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:54 am  by v_jey

[b]A man goes out for a walk. He walks 1mile to the south, then 1 mile to the east and finally 1 mile to the north and ends up in the same place he started. now he dint started at north pole,for sure. . .so where did he :?:[/b]

Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:59 am  by rj82330

Any number of points [i]just over a mile NORTH of the [b]SOUTH POLE[/b][/i].

Provided the circumference of the earth at the point where he starts walking east is an exact factor of 1 mile (i.e. a circumference of 1/2 a mile, or 1/3 a mile, or 1/4 a mile etc), he can walk round and round on this latitude until he has walked a mile "east", whereupon he'll be at his point of origin, and can head 1 mile north to the original start point.

Theoretically, he could start exactly 1 mile north of the South Pole, then "walk east" by standing on one spot and spinning in a circle until his body had arced 1760 yards, then walk back north: but this isn't really "walking".

Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:31 am  by v_jey

good job rj82330
a more simpler way to expln is by assuming a perfectly spherical Earth, somewhere one mile north of the latitude (in the southern hemisphere) that is one mile in circumference. The man walks south one mile to this latitude and walks one mile east, which takes him all the way around and back to where he started. The last step (one mile north) retraces the first step he took (one mile south). 8)

Reply to topic